With more than 25 million books sold worldwide, New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery is known for creating characters who feel as real as the folks next door, and for putting them into emotional, often funny situations readers recognize from their own lives. Susan’s books have made Booklist’s Top 10 Romances list in four out of five consecutive years. RT Book Reviews says, “When it comes to heartfelt contemporary romance, Mallery is in a class by herself.” Susan grew up in southern California and currently lives in Seattle with her husband and the most delightfully spoiled little dog who ever lived.
Coconut Vanilla Snowball Cupcakes
This big-batch cupcake recipe makes enough for a winter party.
The cupcakes look especially pretty on a tiered cake stand.
2½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pure coconut extract
¾ cup sour cream
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter,
at room temperature
2–2½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons sour cream
Sweetened flaked coconut, for garnish
TIP: Eggs blend into cake batter best if they’re at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and coconut extracts; beat until blended. Reduce mixer speed to low, and alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Remove from mixer; fold in coconut.
- Drop batter into cupcake liners, filling each just over halfway full. Bake 18–20 minutes, until golden and set. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting: In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and salt; beat until blended and fluffy. Add sour cream; beat just until blended. Fold in additional powdered sugar, if needed.
- Spread the frosting on cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle a generous amount of coconut over cupcakes.
New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery invites you to taste the local cuisine of her beloved fictional town and share in a year’s worth of deliciously seasonal recipes.
Fool’s Gold is known as the Land of Happy Endings, but it’s also the land of hearty appetites. Throughout the series, the residents of Fool’s Gold have found joy, comfort and good times through food. Now two local Fool’s Gold chefs will also find love through food! Join them as they flirt, fight and fall in love, one season at a time.
You’ll also find favorite recipes from popular characters in the series, such as:
Heidi’s Arugula, Corn and Cherry Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese.
Liz’s Spaghetti for the Girls.
Denise’s Summer Berry Pie.
With chapters for summer, spring, fall and winter, you can find the perfect recipe for everything from holiday get-togethers to cozy date nights, always using the freshest ingredients. And the heartwarming love story that is woven throughout is Susan Mallery at her finest.
The more than 150 recipes and dozens of gorgeous photographs in this book will inspire you to find perfection in the simple and the seasonal. And with all of Fool’s Gold with you in the kitchen, your every celebration will have a happy ending!